Cultivating Trust and Developing the Coaching Partnership
A safe supportive environment is the foundation of any successful coaching relationship (and any relationship for that matter.) We explore the relationship from determining coach-client compatibility to creating the agreement to co-creating the relationship while aligning with client experiences, values and beliefs. Expect to discuss and practice many coaching skills for developing rapport, mutual respect and cultivating trust within the coaching relationship.
- Partner with clients to understand and adapt to their identity, environment, experiences, values and beliefs, to use language respectful to them and all relevant stakeholders, and to consistently apply coaching ethics and standards.
- Partner with clients to create a safe, supportive environment that allows the client to freely share feelings, perceptions, vulnerabilities, concerns, beliefs and insights in order to build a relationship of mutual respect and trust.
- Acknowledge and respect the client’s unique talents, learning style, insights and work in the coaching process
- Demonstrate support, healthy empathy, and concern while maintaining detached involvement and objectivity.
- Demonstrate openness and transparency as a way to display vulnerability and build trust with the client.
- Partner with clients and relevant stakeholders to create clear agreements about the coaching relationship, process, plans and goals overall and with each session.
2:00 – 2:15 pm Pacific / 5:00 pm – 5:15 pm Eastern: Introduction and Coaching Goals – All Participants
2:15 – 4:00 pm Pacific / 5:15 – 6:30 pm Eastern: Lectures and Discussion
- The Coaching Partnership – Jeffrey M. Smith, MD, FACS, CPC
- Developing Trust and Building Rapport – Jeffrey M. Smith, MD, FACS, CPC
- Group Exercise: Demonstrating Vulnerability – All Participants
- Managing Emotions in Coaching – Terri Malcom, MD, CPE, ACC
4:00 – 4:30 pm Pacific / 6:30 – 7:00 pm Eastern: Break – All Participants
4:30 – 6:00 pm Pacific / 7:30 – 9:00 pm Eastern: Coaching Practice – All Participants
6:00 – 6:30 pm Pacific / 9:00 – 9:30 pm Eastern: Discussion and Feedback – All Participants
6:30 pm Pacific / 9:30 pm Eastern: Adjourn