Active Listening and Raising Awareness
Module 5 Description
We focus on the development of active listening and raising awareness in the coaching relationship. Coaches will learn to listen deeply and engage with the client in order to facilitate self-expression and continued learning. Ultimately, the goal is to work directly with the client and guide them in generating new ideas.
Module 5 Objectives
- Consider the Client’s environment, identity, experiences, values, and beliefs to enhance your understanding of what the Client is sharing.
- Demonstrate active listening with paraphrasing, reflection, and summarizing using the Client’s words, tone, and body language to ensure understanding.
- Focus on what the client is and is not saying to support client self-expression.
- Integrate powerful questions, silence, metaphor, or analogy to evoke awareness and facilitate Client insight and learning.
- Ask questions that challenge the Client to explore values, beliefs, needs, wants, and ideas beyond current thinking.
- Involve the Client in generating ideas including what they are willing and able to do to move forward.
- Share observations, insights, and feelings without attachment that have potential for positive reframing, new learning, forward progress, and next steps.
Module 5 Agenda
- Independent Study:
- Article #1
- Video #1
- Article #1
- On-Demand Video Presentations:
- Paraphrasing, Reflecting, and Summarizing to Confirm Understanding – Jeffrey M. Smith, MD, FACS, CPC
- Asking Insightful Questions – Jeffrey M. Smith, MD, FACS, CPC
- Coaching to Broadens Horizons – Jeffrey M. Smith, MD, FACS, CPC
- Practice Coaching with Feedback