Active Listening and Raising Awareness
Module 5 Description
We focus on the development of active listening and raising awareness in the coaching / coachee relationship. Coaches will learn to listen deeply and engage with the client in order to facilitate self-expression and continued learning. Ultimately, the goal is to work directly with the client and guide them in generating new ideas.
Module 5 Objectives
- Consider the Client’s environment, identity, experiences, values, and beliefs to enhance your understanding of what the Client is sharing.
- Demonstrate active listening with paraphrasing, reflection, and summarizing using the Client’s words, tone, and body language to ensure understanding.
- Focus on what the client is and is not saying to support client self-expression.
- Integrate powerful questions, silence, metaphor, or analogy to evoke awareness and facilitate Client insight and learning.
- Ask questions that challenge the Client to explore values, beliefs, needs, wants, and beyond current thinking.
- Involve the Client in generating ideas including what they are willing and able to do to move forward.
- Share observations, insights, and feelings without attachment that have potential for positive reframing, new learning, forward progress, and next steps.
Module 5 Agenda
2:00 – 2:15 pm Pacific / 5:00 pm – 5:15 pm Eastern: Introduction and Coaching Goals – All Participants
2:15 – 4:00 pm Pacific / 5:15 – 7:00 pm Eastern: Lectures and Discussion
- Asking Insightful Questions – Jeffrey M. Smith, MD, FACS, CPC
- Coaching to Broadens Horizons – Jeffrey M. Smith, MD, FACS, CPC
- Reflecting and Summarizing to Confirm Understanding – Jeffrey M. Smith, MD, FACS, CPC
- Group Exercise: 8 PRACTICEs- All Participants
4:00 – 4:30 pm Pacific / 7:00 – 7:30 pm Eastern: Break – All Participants
4:30 – 6:00 pm Pacific / 7:30 – 9:00 pm Eastern: Coaching Practice – All Participants
6:00 – 6:30 pm Pacific / 9:00 – 9:30 pm Eastern: Discussion and Feedback – All Participants
6:30 pm Pacific / 9:30 pm Eastern: Adjourn