Communication with Mutual understanding
Webinar Recording - You may watch this webinar recording and complete the post-webinar survey to receive up to 2 CME credits. *Recording and CME's available until December 9, 2019.
CME Credit - Please complete the below Post Webinar Survey to receive CME credit.
Earn 1 additional CME in Credit (Select the hour of additional work)
List and assess all of your stresses and frustrations in the category of Communication or Miscommunication
Independent reading with brief report on Communication with Mutual Understanding
Create your own 8 PRACTICEs plan or SMART plan to achieve YOUR improvement in Communication with Mutual Understanding
Offer another assignment for instructor approval
About This Class
- Miscommunication causes lots of stress and frustration.
- In fact, it can even lead to devastating events
- While many in our industry rightfully encourage us to improve our listening skills, this misses a critical point.
- Communication should be a two-way street!
- Surgeons, who are already pressed for time, have a difficult time listening, when they know how much information patients should really have when they are participating in shared decision-making
- It is also my belief that our background and training allows our weaknesses in communication to persist
- Some factors even worsen communication
- Members of the healthcare team, including us, are not really communicating in the optimal way when the time spent on entry into the EMR far exceeds the amount of time we are doing face-to-face communication.
This one-hour class in the 2016 Educational Webinar Series takes into account your time demands as Surgeons. The Masters Class #6 will be on October 13th, 2016 at 6:30pm PST. [Please note the time change to 6:30pm!] All participants (including those of you viewing the recorded class) will be able to view and hear the content of the program, but those of you on the program live will be part of the program, talking and interacting with your classmates and the instructor.
What if we could learn ways to improve our communication? How can we expand our listening skills? How is this related to Time / Life Management Using Rhythm (Webinar #4), Reciprocity of Roles and Relationships (Webinar #5), and the rest of The 8 PRACTICEs? The goal is quality and timeliness of communication. Not everything is urgent. Quality requires a passion for performance improvement, positive attitude resilience, inspiration, complex problem solving through simplicity, and mental, emotional and physical energy. This class will help you learn some simple strategies to improve your communication skills as a person and a surgeon. We will build on the strategies of Energy Leadership™, 8 PRACTICEs, AIM SMART or I AM SMART Goal Setting, and personal accountability.
During and at the conclusion of each class, participants should plan to have their own action plans for moving forward. Attendance (CME credit) and attentiveness in the class is documented by submitting “Masters Codes” provided during the class. The optional additional hour of CME credit is earned by documenting the completion of an additional assignment to the instructor.
- Discuss the pathophysiology of miscommunication in our existing training and healthcare system as well as our lives
- Learn strategies to improve Communication with Mutual Understanding using all of the 8 PRACTICEs
- Create a personal plan with long- and short-term goals for improving Communication with Mutual Understanding
- Implement a new communication habit to replace an old negative habit using goal setting and accountability
Communication With Mutual Understanding
- Expanding Listening Skills
- Balancing Time and the Other
- Creating the Ideal Informed Consent
- 7 Levels of Communication
- Q & A
Requirements to earn CME credit:
- 3 CME "Master Codes" provided in presentation
- Completed survey and evaluation
- Completed report of extra assignment for those seeking 2 CME credits
Recommended Technical Requirements:
- Windows 7 and higher / Mac OSX 10.7 and higher**
- Newest version of Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Chrome or Safari Web Browser
- Wired (not WiFi) Broadband internet connection with an upload speed of 1 Mbps or more
- Most recent version of Adobe Flash player: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer
- Turn pop up blocker off or put www.anymeeting.com in your allowed list
**Attendees may additionally join a meeting using iPad, Android tablet or iPhone using the AnyMeeting app found in the app store for your mobile device."
- General Question: Please contact Rowena Didyavong at 858-300-2299
- Webinar System (AnyMeeting) Support for technical questions at: http://support.anymeeting.com/
- FORE for CME questions at: 813-877-8096