Physician coaching services are established for personal growth, professional development, and peak performance. SurgeonMasters partners with healthcare organizations to deliver physician coaching, physician coach training, and wellness programs.
By developing a coaching culture we grow performance and wellness from the inside out.
Organizational Benefits of Physician Coaching
Physician coaching increases physician engagement and offers a different type of support not found in medicine. Healthcare organizations benefit by:
- Higher Physician Retention
- Improved Patient Outcomes
- Greater Joy and Fulfillment
Physician Coaching is Different
The practice of medicine presents unique challenges, and a physician coach understands the complexity of navigating the system. Our coaches have experienced the same stress and conflicts that arise from trying to balance patient care, career development, and family life. SurgeonMasters coaches specialize in understanding physicians—because we’re physicians too. Physician coaching is not mentoring.
SurgeonMasters‘ physician coaches partner with physician clients to:
- Gain perspective and clarity around personal or professional challenges.
- Discuss interpersonal relationships and communication styles.
- Examine leadership styles and decision-making.
- Implement wellness habits and prioritize self-care (Work / Life Balance).
- Create improvements in clinical and team efficiencies.
- Manage complications and improve patient outcomes.
Physician Coaching Services for Organizations
SurgeonMasters partners with physicians and healthcare organizations to support physician wellness and performance. Services include healthcare consulting services, professional physician coaching, and wellness programs.
Physician Coaching Programs consist of 6 or 12 coaching calls. This allows time for a client to develop rapport with their coach and iterate the coaching cycle as they work toward their goal. Here’s what a client receives in a standard physician coaching package:
- 55-minute coaching calls on the phone or videoconference.
- A trained physician coach to support the process.
- Accountability for follow-through on decisions and next steps.
- Powerful questions to deepen the critical thinking process.
- A sounding board to share ideas and develop strategic plans.
- A pledge from your coach and SurgeonMasters to 100% confidentiality.
Group Coaching sessions are opportunities to discuss creative ways to address challenges and well-being. Physician Wellness Group sessions are topic-driven to address specific challenges. Research has demonstrated the benefits of peer support, leading to the development and implementation of tailored peer support programs within specific medical departments, such as anesthesia and perioperative medicine (2).
The roles and responsibilities of individuals who comprise the group are important considerations to facilitate honest and open sharing.
- Burnout Prevention and Wellness Strategies
- Communicating with Our Teams
- Managing Electronic Medical Records
- New Hire Onboarding
- Up-and-Coming Leaders
Physician Coach Training is an accredited coach training program teaching the core competencies of coaching. Coaching is beneficial in developing a feedback-rich culture, particularly in the context of physician leadership, indicating its potential to enhance leadership skills and professional development among physicians (3).
The content delivery timeline and the execution of each educational component can be manipulated to meet the needs of the individual and the organization (ie. virtual, in-person, or a combination of the two).
- Independent Study – Articles, coaching studies, and videos introduce module skills.
- Skills Education – Coaching skill videos teach the skills introduced in the independent study.
- Practice Coaching – Apply what you learned in the independent study and skills videos during LIVE practice coaching sessions.
Physician Coach Training Learning Objectives:
- Coach peers to maximize their personal and professional potential in a way consistent with their values and beliefs.
- Apply recognized coaching ethics and standards of professionalism in client-focused coaching relationships.
- Partner with clients to create a mutual understanding of the coaching process, individual sessions, and long-term goals for the coaching relationship.
- Build trust and rapport with clients to maximize the benefit of the coaching relationship.
- Create a safe, supportive environment where sharing confidential information openly and honestly supercharges client potential.
- Practice active listening, powerful questions, paraphrasing, and other coaching core competencies to raise client awareness, generate insight, and brainstorm new ideas.
- Partner with clients in a coaching relationship to transform insight and awareness into moving forward action steps.
Webinars and presentations are an opportunity to hear from subject matter experts and engage in discussion about how the content impacts our lives and practice.
- Crucial Conversations with a CMO
- Physician Improv: Leadership Skills
- The 8 PRACTICEs of Performance Improvement
Healthcare consulting services from SurgeonMasters support physician wellness and burnout prevention. Services encompass a range of strategies and solutions to promote well-being, mitigate factors influencing burnout, and improve the quality of patient care.
Consulting services include:
- Wellness Program Development: Consultants work with healthcare organizations to design and implement comprehensive wellness programs. These programs may include initiatives such as physician coach training, peer support groups, and physician wellness resources.
- Workplace Culture Assessment: SurgeonMasters assess the organizational culture within healthcare organizations to identify potential sources of stress and burnout. This might involve discussion groups, interviewing, presenting, and assessing the overall work environment.
Schedule a Call:
Connect with the SurgeonMasters, Executive Director, Paul Hiller to learn more.
Moving. Forward. Together.
- Dyrbye LN, Shanafelt TD, Gill PR, Satele DV, West CP. Effect of a Professional Coaching Intervention on the Well-being and Distress of Physicians. JAMA Internal Medicine. Published online August 5, 2019. doi:https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2019.2425
- Slykerman, G., Wiemers, M., & Wyssusek, K. (2019). Peer support in anaesthesia: development and implementation of a peer-support programme within the royal brisbane and women’s hospital department of anaesthesia and perioperative medicine. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, 47(6), 497-502. All of the proposed Potential Next Steps can be administered in person or virtually. https://doi.org/10.1177/0310057×19878450
- Schwartz, Rachel, et al. “Developing a Feedback-Rich Culture in Academic Medicine: The Effect of Coaching and 360-Feedback on Physician Leadership.” BMC Medical Education, vol. 22, no. 1, 24 Oct. 2022, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-022-03809-6. Accessed 22 Nov. 2022.