I’m always on the lookout for new ways to support my well-being. This journey started after I realized how much yoga helped me. I started practicing yoga to relieve the physical pain in my neck and back from years of huddling over trauma patients. After six months I realized it helped me mentally, emotionally, and spiritually too.
When the pandemic hit and studios closed, I was forced to get creative. I attended studio classes online, found instructors on YouTube, and started downloading mobile apps in an attempt to make something work. Most didn’t. But a few did and the trial and error of different apps didn’t cost me anything.
I would like to share eight free apps – four fitness, two sleep, and two hydration – to support physician wellness because sharing is caring. Perhaps you’ll find one of them instrumental in your wellness journey.
Fitness Apps for Physician Wellness
- 7 Minute Workout – For individuals with busy schedules (like us!), 7 Minute Workout is a time-efficient fitness app that provides short, high-intensity workouts. Offering a quick yet effective approach to physical activity, the app guides users through a series of exercises to improve cardiovascular health, strength, and overall fitness. It is ideal for those looking to squeeze in a workout during a tight schedule.
- Fitbod – Fitbod is a dynamic workout app that takes personalization to the next level. By considering individual fitness goals, available equipment, and previous workout history, Fitbod generates personalized workout plans. This ensures that users receive workouts that align with their objectives, promoting a more effective and efficient exercise routine. Fitbod is a valuable companion for those seeking tailored fitness experiences.
- JEFIT Workout Planner – JEFIT Workout Planner stands out as a specialized app for strength training and bodybuilding enthusiasts. It offers customizable workout plans tailored to individual preferences and fitness levels. With a vast exercise library, tracking tools, and progress monitoring features, JEFIT provides a structured approach to strength training, making it a go-to app for those aiming to build muscle and enhance overall physical strength. (I receive no royalties but I do enjoy the name!)
- Map My Ride – Map My Ride is a mobile app designed for cyclists to track and analyze their rides, providing route mapping, distance, speed, elevation, and calorie tracking features. Similarly, Map My Run is a fitness app catering to runners, offering GPS tracking, route planning, pace analysis, and workout logging capabilities to help users achieve their running goals.” See past workouts and the favorite routes of other users.
Sleep Apps for Physician Wellness
Sleepo – Sleepo is a simple yet effective sleep app that allows users to create their personalized sleep soundscape. With a variety of ambient sounds to choose from, including nature sounds and white noise, Sleepo helps individuals customize their sleep environment. This app is ideal for those seeking a calming and relaxing background to aid in falling asleep and achieving a more restful night.
Calm – Calm is a meditation and relaxation app designed to help users reduce stress, improve sleep, and boost mindfulness through guided meditation sessions, sleep stories, breathing exercises, and soothing music. The interface is user-friendly and the app offers a wide range of customizable features to calm the mind.
- WaterMinder – WaterMinder is a hydration app designed to remind users to stay adequately hydrated throughout the day. By setting personalized water intake goals and providing timely reminders, WaterMinder encourages users to maintain a healthy level of hydration. The app also tracks daily water intake, offering insights into hydration patterns and supporting overall well-being.
- Waterlogged – Waterlogged is another hydration app that focuses on tracking daily water intake. Similar to WaterMinder, it allows users to set hydration goals and receive reminders to ensure consistent and sufficient water consumption. With a user-friendly interface and the ability to log various beverage types, Waterlogged assists individuals in maintaining optimal hydration levels for better health.
There are a million helpful apps and websites to help us track our health and well-being. Naturally, we’ll be drawn to some and not others.
What do you like?
Jeffrey M. Smith, MD, FACS, PCC
Jeff is the founder of SurgeonMasters, a practicing Orthopaedic Traumatologist, and a Professional Certified Coach (PCC). He has more than 800 hours of one-on-one surgeon coaching experience and 500+ hours of accredited coach training.
You can find his thoughts about the practice of medicine in the SurgeonMasters blog and as the host of the SurgeonMasters Podcast, Life Improvement Strategies for the Surgeon Who Wants More… in 10 Minutes.